Claim your birthright, and step into the joy of singing! Whether you’re a “non-singer” who wishes you could sing, or a more experienced singer who would like to delve deeper into the magic of your own voice, this weekend retreat/workshop is for you!
- If you can talk you can sing! — yes, EVEN YOU!!
- Learn in a way that’s supportive, comfortable & fun
- Discover or re-discover your unique voice
- Feel the sound of your own voice in a whole new way
- Experience the profound joy of singing in a supportive group
- Become more confident – experience some singing success!
- Empower yourself by doing things you didn’t think you could!
- Take home new skills & tools to continue the journey!
I really surprised myself, in many ways. I had a wonderful time and came away with more confidence than I felt possible!”
– A Workshop Participant
Through a combination of games, improvisation and simple songs from around the world we’ll explore different aspects of the voice.
Did you know that adults & teens can learn to sing in much the same way a child learns language — through immersion and play?!
In that spirit, we’ll…
- Create a space of non-judgement, and replace the “cringe,” with curiosity!
- Make all kinds of crazy sounds and noises — just to discover what we’ve got!
- Learn to listen differently and more deeply.
- Discover the profound joy of boldly singing with other people!
- Dig into different learning styles, discovering YOUR best inroads to music learning.
- Discuss the basics of music theory, so you’ll understand more about how songs work.
- Sing familiar songs and learn new ones!
We’ll create a tool kit of accessible techniques for you to take home and use as you develop your skills. Discover the joy of your unique voice and let go of that old idea that singing isn’t for you!
Nancy has helped me along the journey of bringing what I hear inside my head into the world. She brings a patience and a kindness to her process that focuses on joy and emphasizes the pleasure of singing. She has helped me replace my perceptions of singing failure with success, and anxiety with relaxation.” – Chris, Singing Student
Built-In Relaxation Time…
- Take a walk around town or in the county
- Do a little drawing or artwork (I’ll bring some supplies)
- Check out the groovy local coffee shop, and other shops in town
- Sing around the campfire if weather allows
- We want you to leave this workshop, inspired, relaxed and refreshed!
“Nancy seems to have an endless basket of teaching tools and they were all enjoyable. I especially liked moving, scatting and adding rhythm-making to our singing.” – Workshop Participant
Early Bird Tuition (These are Early Bird prices -- prices increase $30 after June 20!)
$485/person — Single Room & All Meals
$425/person — Shared Room & All Meals
$325/person — Commuter, Includes All Meals
Last Minute Tuition (Prices after June 20th!)
$515/person — Single Room & All Meals
$455/person — Shared Room & All Meals
$355/person — Commuter, Includes All Meals
We'll begin with dinner Friday at 6 pm in the Retreat House, 14 Church St.. If you are staying at Stone Church Center, please arrive anytime after 4 pm Friday so you have time to check-in and get settled. Commuters may arrive and socialize in the Retreat House living room after 5 pm.
Most sessions will take place in Currier Hall, 12 Church St., right next door to the Retreat House. Qther sessions will take place outdoors (weather permitting), or in the Church, 20 Church St., or its wonderful Chapel.
Breakfasts are self-serve for residential guests in the Retreat House kitchen and dining room. Commuters have breakfast in their B&B or at home. Lunches are just after Noon, Saturday and Sunday, and dinenrs at 6 pm. Our caterer, Elizabeth Rogers, do a wonderful job.
Faculty: Nancy Salwen
Nancy is a long-time resident of Keene, NH, she has sung with Animaterra, Halcyon ensemble, Keene World Harmony Chorus, and attends Village Harmony singing camps. She is a lead singer in a small local band called Crabgrass (despite a bit of lingering stage fright). Her love of community singing informs all of her teaching.
Nancy teaches singing to “non-singers,” beginners and anyone who wants to sing more comfortably and expressively. She is the author of the book (and online program), “The Fear of Singing Breakthrough Program: Learn to Sing Even if You Think You Can’t Carry a Tune!” She leads workshops, offers online programs, and teaches lessons in-person and over Skype (or FaceTime).
Nancy is a certified Music for People improvisation facilitator and workshop leader. She is also a center director and educator with Music Together®, the renowned early childhood family music and movement program, and teaches early childhood music programs in a variety of schools. In addition, she leads music-based workshops for team building, staff development, and personal growth for businesses and organizations.